Monday, April 26, 2010

Handling Conflict


Hebrews 12:14-15 says, "Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled..."


So...over the weekend I experienced a very uncomfortable situation. I won't go into detail, but let's just say that there was a potential conflict on the rise. How did I respond??? Well, like everyone else would, I got upset, but instead of allowing my anger and frustrations to come out of my mouth, I simply offered a peaceful response. A response that would not hinder me from ministering to them again. Ever heard the expression, "Think before you speak?" I don't like that expression sometimes...LOL...but it's very true. I'm reminded of what Jessica told the kids a week ago during church at Clemmons UMC about words being like toothpaste. As we look at this scripture, we see very wise words to the church. "Pursue peace!" It goes on to say with all people...not just some! We never know if we will have the opportunity to minister to someone down the road, but if we "stick our foot in our mouth" well then we have just lost the opportunity to minister to that person ever again. I know it's hard to not tell someone exactly what we want to say, but it must be done, not only for the good of that person, but for the good of you. We don't want to live our lives in regret over an emotional response. As we prepare for the summer, please be aware that conflicts WILL ARISE...It's inevitable. It's how we handle those conflicts that define our character. Will you pursue peace...or settle with being miserable all summer? I assure you that if conflict is not resolved, whether it be with your roomates, or with another staff member, then that will not only be weird for you and them, but will mess up the whole summer for you. GOD HAS TOO MANY GOOD PLANS FOR YOU THIS SUMMER...SO DON'T BE HINDERED BY CONFLICT AND BITTERNESS!!!


~Jason

0 comments:

Post a Comment